Hammertoes Can Hammer Into Your Style
Foot pain can seriously impact your daily routine. In particular hammertoes are a bending of the toe at the initial joint. If left untreated, hammertoes can lead to immobility of the foot. It is important that you seek the help of a podiatrist immediately to prevent further toe damage. Here at the New York State Podiatric Medical Association, educating you about foot health is our highest importance. You can also sign up for our e-newsletter to stay informed or contact us for more information.
Hammertoes are deformities of the toe and occur with higher frequency in women because women tend to wear high heels and narrow shoes that lead to bending in the center of the joint. The following can be helpful in preventing this condition from forming:
- Wearing shoes with soft materials or open toe shoes.
- Have popular shoes stretched around the toe box.
- Self-help exercises can prevent the joint from bending in an unnatural way.
- Silicone pads or foot inserts with custom orthotics can help alleviate pain.
There are several surgical treatments that may be helpful:
- Removal of parts of the toe joint that’s stopping the deformed toe from straightening.
- Re-routing of the tendon so the toe can be straightened and ease the joint pressure.
- Shorten the bone so that extra space can be made for the toe to fill in footwear.
- Removing part of the joint, which will reduce pain and allow the bones in the toe to grow in a natural manner.
- Implanting orthopedic products can help fix the toe deformities.
Recovery should not take very long for general procedures, but more complicated treatment requiring the use of pins or screws may compel the need for several months of healing time.
As you can see hammertoes if left untreated can lead to mobility issues, especially for women. If you are experiencing hammertoes take this opportunity to get the very best treatment and browse our website to find a skilled podiatrist near you and you will notice a change for the better with your toes.